If you are looking for a way to really stand out during the holiday season, consider giving a homemade gift. Homemade gifts can be heartfelt, and provide you with a way to provide something truly unique to the recipients. These gifts not only save you money, but they can also give you a way to personalize gifts in a way that shows how much you really care for the recipients.
It may seem early right now, but the truth is that Christmas will be here before you know it. If you want to go the homemade gift route, to give something with a truly personal touch, without breaking the bank, now is the time to start preparing and making. With a little creativity, you can create something that others will enjoy.
Homemade Christmas gifts are unique and memorable, and when properly executed, can offer lasting satisfaction. Here are thirty homemade Christmas gift ideas:
- Cake in a Mug: One of the gifts I made one year was a big hit. It was cake in a mug. Provide most of the ingredients and instructions, in a festive mug, and give it to the recipients. There are also delicious cobbler in a mug recipes.
- Dime Store Games: Simple games that are great for kids can make fun gifts and stocking stuffers. Some adults even enjoy these fun dime store games.
- Earring Holder: Create an attractive earring holder. You can make one out of old frames and lace, or even one with wire.
- Tile Decor: Use tiles to make different decorations. You can turn them into magnets, paint them with simple designs, or do any number of projects with them to create a fun gift.
- Homemade Basket: You can make an attractive decorative basket out of grocery bags and fabric strips.
- Themed Basket: Take your homemade basket and fill it with themed gifts. Put together a pasta basket (spaghetti, homemade sauce, pasta grabber), or a chocolate basket, or a movie night basket. Pick a theme and fill it with applicable items.
- Homemade Facial Scrub: There are a number of recipes for homemade facial scrubs. Package them attractively, and you’ve got a great gift.
- Gourmet Seasonings: You can put together gourmet seasoning gifts. Purchase large amounts from the store, and then divide them into smaller containers or baggies. This works with herbs as well.
- Granola: Make delicious granola and give it out. Put it in a decorative tin, or in some other attractive container.
- Hollow Book: You can make a fun hollow book gift. Choose an interesting looking book from the local thrift store and hollow it out. The recipient can use it to store special items, or you can fill it with bonus gifts.
- Hot Pads: There are numerous ways to make attractive hot pads as gifts.
- Audio Book: It can be quite fun to create an audiobook for someone. Create a recording of you reading the book, and then provide it a format the recipient can use. Great for the commuters in your life.
- Potpourri: Create sweet-smelling potpourri. Make a small bag to hold it, or go to the thrift store and pick up old china sets or vases to keep it in.
- Pancake Mix: Create a tasty pancake mix to give. Make sure to include instructions on how to turn the dry ingredients into a delicious pancake batter.
- Colorful Platters: You can spray paint clear platters to give them a little more pizzazz. And, if you want them to be safe for food, only spray paint the bottom. You can even paint different designs, or use stencils, to create an attractive platter.
- Personalized Calendar: It’s possible to purchase calendar blanks and then create your own calendar. This can be a fun gift for others. Add pictures, or personalize the calendar to reflect the interests of the recipient. I made a calendar for my mother-in-law one year, and she loved it.
- Truffles: One of my favorite things to make each year is the truffle. There are a number of recipes for truffles online. Arrange them in little boxes with cute bows, and viola! The perfect little gift.
- Picture Frame: It’s fairly easy to put together a picture frame, even if all you have access to is the scrap pile. Make a picture frame and then decorate special for the recipient.
- Napkin Rings: Create napkin rings and give them as gifts. There are a number of ways to create attractive napkin rings that can be used for a variety of occasions and during a variety of seasons.
- Bubble Bath: One of the coolest gifts you can give is a bubble bath. It’s fun, and the scents you use to create your bubble bath are just as important as the bubbles themselves.
- Hair Accessories: Give the gift of fashion. There are a number of hair accessories, from headbands to clips to scrunchies, that you can make for recipients of all ages.
- Vinyl Letter Crafts: If you are into vinyl lettering, the gift potential is unlimited. You can create wall sayings, magnets, and any number of decorations and crafts with the help of vinyl lettering.
- Candles: From teacup candles to scented candles, one of the most popular gifts are these little lights. There are a number of candle projects that you can complete at home to create personalized, fun gifts.
- Cookbook: A few years ago, my husband’s aunt put together a cookbook containing the family’s favorite recipes. This was a great homemade gift. There are a number of ways you can present it. My husband’s aunt put the recipes in page protectors in binders, and then decorated the binders.
- Cookies in a Jar: This is one of my favorite homemade gifts to give. You provide all the dry ingredients for cookies, and put them in a jar. It looks attractive, and you can dress it up with ribbons. Just make sure you include the instructions for the recipient.
- Animal Hats: One of the current trends right now is animal hats. If you crochet, you can make these cute animal hats for the people you know.
- Coaster Sets: Create homemade coaster sets. Stack four on top of each other, and tie with an attractive ribbon.
- Book Covers: For your friends who still read actual books, you can create book covers that are attractive of fun. Don’t worry if your friends and family use a Kindle; there are ways to make homemade Kindle covers, too.
- Almond Roca: My mom loves almond roca, and sometimes I make it for her. Creating this fancy-looking treat is relatively easy, and you can score major points with the recipient.
- Comfort Bags: Using rice, and a little fabric, you can make comfort bags that can be heated or cooled, depending on the recipient’s needs. Choose fun fabric for a unique twist.
Do you have a favorite homemade gift you’d like to share?